|The Stamford Hill Mine
No Previous Production, No Modern Exploration, No Problem!
Historical resource 500,000 tons @ 5% Cu 15 ounces per ton Gold reported
Historical Underground Mines
The current cycle of demand for minerals, combined with
concerns regarding the environment and land use which
are now an integral part of open-pit mine development, have
resulted in an economic situation where vein deposits
exploitable by underground mining methods are increasingly
viable exploration targets. Folk NI 43101
STAMFORD Hill PROSPECT HISTORY
The Stamford Hill Prospect is akin to the Charing Cross
Prospect in that it was extensively explored during the mineral
boom of the 1850's. Physically the Stamford Hill Prospect is
located only three quarters of a mile north of the Charing
Cross workings and their histories are somewhat similar.
In fact, at one time there was consideration given to linking the
two prospects underground and working both properties
from the lower elevation of the Charing Cross site. See diagram
at top right.
The Stamford Hill Prospect was explored by the Clarendon
Consolidated Copper Mining Company of Jamaica which began
work in 1852-53 having an initial capitalization of 80,000 pounds
sterling. Operations continued until 1863 during which time the
company initially excavated three access adits for a minimum
of 540 feet and subsequently sank an access shaft to a depth
of 102 fms. (622 feet) out of a target depth of 128 fms. (780 feet).
The latter depth was never reached due to a combination of a
number of events, namely, death of the mine captain, failure of
pumps, inadequacy of the engine to reach the target depth and
a lack of sufficient capital to remedy all the above problems.
However, during the coarse of work on the Stamford Hill site,
the company opened eight levels at roughly 75 foot intervals,
carried out extensive drifting and raising on these levels, and
erected all the necessary infrastructure to support the mining
activity, including the clearing of a 4 mile road over
mountainous terrain between the mine site and the village of
Retreat where an ore dressing facility was established.
The main vein, "Stamford Hill Vein", appears to have been
continuous through a distance of 648 feet from surface to the
bottom of the shaft and to the 480 foot level, at least, was a
consistent 20 feet in width. Mineralization seems to have
occurred in a disseminated fashion throughout the vein, a
feature not considered favorable at the time. The overall grade
is difficult to establish from the accounts available save to say
that it appears to have been in the range of 15% copper,
although in areas where mineralization assumed a more
massive character, which occurred on the 46 level, values up
to 25% are reported.
Those comments regarding ore grade do seem to be
consistent in that the overall grade was less than the adjoining
Charing Cross mine where grades were in the 15-20% copper
range. At the time, it was considered that grades would need
to be in the 8% copper range to compete with the Cornish
mines and bear the additional shipping cost from Jamaica to
England for processing.
|Stamford Hill Mine Shaft & Tunnel
|Stamford Hill-Charing Cross Mine Diagram
Click to enlarge
|Stamford Hill Mine Shaft & Tunnel
Diagram Clarendon 2008
with some of the oxidized copper ores (blue and
green carbonates) of the Clarendon mines, as
stated in reports of assays made in England. These
mines were visited by the surveyors for the purpose
of examining into the occurrence of these auriferous
minerals. The officer in charge pointed out No. 1,
shaft as the locality which had produced the
carbonates and surface ores in question.
The relative richness was stated to amount to “15
ounces" per ton; a very large yield indeed. But the
correctness of this assertion may perhaps be
corroborated from the tradition of the Spaniards
having obtained gold here, and from their having
named an adjacent elevation “The Gold Mine”. At the
time of the visit of the surveyors it was impossible to
prosecute any mineral or geological researches as
the workings were long abandoned and the vicinity
completely grown over by bush. Sawkins 1869.
Stamford Hill Mine Shaft & Tunnel
Diagram with recent assays from
samples collected by Clarendon
2008 Photo taken from Calabash
Stamford Hill vein with proposed
drill locations and directions STC
BSc, MRes FGS
examines rock found in gully
outside of 1st adit level July
Fire assay resulted in 2.5 g/t Au,
8.2% Cu, 14 ppm Ag
|N18 02.470 W77 10.686
|Fully permitted for all aspects of mineral exploration.
|High Grade Copper, Gold and Silver 15 miles from Port
|Clarendon Consolidated Minerals Ltd. a Private Illinois Corporation. 2009 All Rights Reserved.